Civil Celebrations

Are you looking for a completely personal and tailored ceremony to mark a special occasion? Cheshire Ceremonies are here for you, in good times as well as sad.

“I’d love to have Ave Maria sung at my wedding, but the registrar tells me that absolutely no religious content is allowed in a legal marriage ceremony, unless we’re in a church. I feel so disappointed ….”

“Our silver anniversary is coming up, and we want to mark the occasion with a special ceremony. Over the past twenty-five years, we’ve been through some tough times but now our love is stronger than ever. That’s something we should celebrate!”

“We don’t go to church so we don’t want to ask the vicar for a christening, but it would be lovely to welcome our new baby to the world, with friends and family there ….”

A special celebration to mark that special day ...

A special celebration to mark that special day …

Shena is able to create a beautiful  ceremony for your happy event, whether it’s a baby naming, a significant birthday, a renewal of vows or even a wedding*.

The ceremony can contain whatever elements you choose –  perhaps you dream of a sunset wedding by a lake, or in the gardens of a country house?  You’d like to be able to choose a well-loved Bible reading or piece of sacred music combined with your favourite non-religious poems? Maybe you look forward to appointing “guideparents” to make their own promises of support to your new baby, or wearing your beautiful wedding dress one more time at a renewal of vows ceremony in the company of family and friends who could not attend your marriage abroad …… ?

All these choices are possible with a Cheshire Ceremonies celebrant! 
Contact Shena to find out more.
Telephone 01270 505512, or email:

*Because the ceremonies I conduct are not the “statutory” ones, they’re not limited by any church or local authority restrictions on the content or timing. Wedding ceremonies by an independent celebrant can take place anywhere you choose, and are a very beautiful and personal way to mark your special occasion. However, to be legally binding, the official registration of marriage or civil partnership must be conducted separately. This can be done in the Register Office by local authority registrars on the morning of the wedding (or a day or so before, if you prefer).

If the wedding is take place in premises which are already approved by the local authority for marriage and civil partnership, the formal registration can often be completed by registrars at the same venue, prior to the non-official ceremony. 


Images on this page by Yvonne Lewington Photography: